Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Seamless textures tutorial part 2 - Metal Paneling

Downloads
    Uploads

Seamless textures tutorial part 2 - Metal Paneling

Welcome to the second part of the seamless textures tutorial: Metal paneling

In this second tutorial, you'll se how you can realize some BASIC and GENERAL metal

paneling...

Let's start!

First of all open a new file (I'm working with a 600x600 canvas)

Now choose a base color

I think you'll find useful some grid lines (just click and drag these lines from the rulers at the border of your window, to show those rulers click "Ctrl+R" )

Now using the grid lines as reference, use the square selection to "draw" the first layer of your panels... (you can aways draw INSIDE the canvas and then use the filer "Offset", if you want to know how it works, just check my previous tut)

Fill these selection with another colour (or the same) and repeat this operation again until you are happy with the level of detail. In this case I've used a lighter color for the "panels" and I've set the Layer style on "Soft Light" and this is the result...

Now copy the base color, and the panel layers and merge these layers together and apply the "Emboss" filter (under Filter > Stylize > Emboss), now you should have something like this:

Now copy again your panel layers and work on the first one...

Open the "Layer Style" window (double-click the layer tab)

And set the "Fill Opacity" to 0%

Now go to "Outer Glow" and use the following settings (or what you think will work for you)

Now repeat the process on the other layer of panels and you should have something like this:

With this layer we are doing some dirt/rust for our panels...

Now create a new layer under the "rust" levels, hide ALL the other layers (uncheck the little eye in the layers tab) and then megrge the visible layers (Ctrl+Shift+E) and set the

resulting layer on "Multiply". Now un-hide the other layers and you'll see this:

Now we'll add some "texture" and realism to our project.
    Search the web for a dirt metal image (or make your own).
    I've found this image...

The image is 600x450 pixel, I've used the "Offset" filter again...

After a little work with the "healing" tool I've made a seamless texture from that image, now, go to "Edit" > "Define Pattern" and click "Ok"

Now if you go to the "Layer Style" window, under the "Pattern Overlay" option, you should find a brand new pattern for you!

Create a new layer and apply this pattern, then create a new layer UNDER the last one and merge these two layers.

Now copy this layer and cut the contour of the panels (Ctrl+click the layer tab of your panels, one at time... Ctrl+click on the panel layer #1 > select the metal layer > Del > repeat the operatin for the panel layer #2) and you should have this:

Now if you un-hide the other layers you should see this image:

Set this metal layer to "Soft Light" with Opacity at 40%...

Set the "uncut" metal layer to "Soft Light" at 100% opacity...

And the "rust" layer to "Multiply" at 100%

And this should be the result

Ok, that's all for our basic panelling, but you can play around with the settings or whatever you want, and you can add bolts...

Or maybe with some dirt/corrosion...

Or all these things...

I hope you find this tut useful for your projects.
    See you next time for the next tut!
    Thank you, namaste and good luck www.jagthesite.com____Ramielarium____My Blog!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very nice tutorial, Ramiel!
    Being a nerd is when you have an opinion about the design of a fictional spaceship from a movie. Being a full-on geek is when you personally know at least three people who could have done a better job with it, and wish they'd been the ones to get hired...

Star Wars Reference Photos here.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks, I know it takes a while to load...
    I'm working on something new (while I'm working on the first "Ramiel's sci-fi texture pack Vol.1" )

-EDIT-
    I've forgot a passage...
    You should set the "emboss" image on "Overlay" so you should have a small, fake "bump" of the panels...
    Sorry
    Last edited by Ramiel; 19th Jun 2006 at 19:31.

Huhlal
    Terrific tutorial! Very useful.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice tut for Adobe users.

Not really for older Jasc PSP users though because by just the emboss step they'll have already done somewhere around 15-50 extra steps. With not even much 'real' work does as of yet.

So you probably should put in your title name ".... for Adobe"
    Born in the USSA, baby![/b]

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, given the relative lack of Photoshop users, I guess the distinction needed to be made in advance.
    Being a nerd is when you have an opinion about the design of a fictional spaceship from a movie. Being a full-on geek is when you personally know at least three people who could have done a better job with it, and wish they'd been the ones to get hired...

Star Wars Reference Photos here.

Downloads
    Uploads
    :eek: I might actually be able to make textures! Wooot happy day! Thanks for the tutorial
    I would have a signature if I didn't have such bad handwriting.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Fantastic tutorial, thank you very much.
    Don't laugh! This ain't Reality TV!

3D Recreations
    http://www.brickhead3dart.com/index.php

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, I know only Photoshop and Illustrator (you should know this ) so, if someone wants to convert this tut for any other application, is more than welcome

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is the sort of tutorial i've been waiting for. Very nice Ramiel!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast